Following in the virtual footsteps of our fearless leader, I’m taking a shot at predicting the Spiel des Jahres award winners (and other nominees). I’m notoriously bad at this… but that isn’t going to stop me.
I really have no idea about the Kinderspiel des Jahres this year… while I used to keep up pretty well with kids games, those days are gone with my boys now more into the DC Deckbuilding Game and the Lord of the Rings LCG.
- Winner: Geister Geister Schatzsuchmeister (and not just because Dale’s brother, Brian Yu, designed it… it’s a really great cooperative game with gorgeous art & bits)
- Short List: Zicke Zacke Ei Ei Ei (because who’s gonna bet against the Zoch chicken franchise?)
Dale & I agree on the eventual winner of the Spiel des Jahres… but I think he’s smoking something if Coal Baron gets nominated here rather than for KdJ.
- Winner: Sanssouci (a little too light & fruffy for my tastes, but I can easily see it winning)
- Short List: Splendor, Abluxxen (based on the reactions to them from the Gathering crowd)
The Kennerspiel des Jahres (the GamerSdJ) is where Coal Baron will show up… and, in a perfect world, win.
- Winner: Coal Baron (light enough to please the jury, heavy enough for gamers to enjoy)
- Short List: Glass Road (I think the cool mechanics will help it get a nod, despite what I felt like was lackluster gameplay), Russian Railroads (heaviest thing out there that people seem to really like)
Now, if I get to choose:
- Kinderspiel: Geister Geister Schatzsuchmeister
- Spiel des Jahres: Quantum
- Kennerspiel: Coal Baron