Lorna’s Top Essen Wants in no particular order
Renature – I’ve demoed this game at Camp Capstone, fun tile placement game. It’s rather abstract but interesting in a puzzly good way.
Bonfire – I’ve demoed the game on Tabletopia and yes it’s one of Feld’s complex monstrosities but I like it. Lots of choices with each turn.
Cloud Age – Maricaibo fell flat for me but I’m still interested in Pfister games
Lost Ruins of Arnak – Had a rules explanation at Castle Tricon but technical difficulties kept me from playing. Sounds a bit like Quest for El Dorado which is a favorite but this one adds some other mechanisms. Looks good.
Praga Caput Regni – Looks like a nice game on the higher complexity scale.
Hallertau – sure what’s one more Uwe?
Beez – Liked Azul but not Reef. Hope this one makes the cut
Faiyum – sounds like an interesting deckbuilder
Beyond the Sun – Sounds like an interesting game from Rio Grande with tech and worker placement also always fond of space themes
Any Exit games
(Under Falling Skies – this would have been on my list but I wasn’t really interested in the campaign and I wanted a smaller box so I made my own PnP which I am very happy with, really tense little dice game)
(Fogsite – which I already have – it’s a one vs many game. One player is the guardian who makes the maze and the other 3 players try to deduce their way out. I’d order it if I didn’t already own it)
Kickstarters and Essen
Macaroon – like the theme, looks like a cute card game. Looks like it will be a KS for later but being demoed this year
Paris – had kickstarted was/is supposed to release at this year’s Essen, K&K always worth checking out, initially I thought of Porta Nigra because of the round board but this one is tile placement which I like
Search for any Game Title or keyword on the Opinionated Gamers
- Follow The Opinionated Gamers on WordPress.com
Support the Opinionated Gamers! If you enjoy our content here, help keep us independent!
- Under Falling Skies: A Solo Gaming Review
- Best New (to me!) Games of 2020
- Dale Yu: Review of The Fuzzies
- Illumination: An Original Game about Medieval Manuscripts
- Brandon Kempf – Three Games of 2020
- Chris Wray: My 10 Favorite Games of 2020
- Dale Yu: Review of Magic Money
- Dale Yu: Review of Ravensburger Escape Puzzles (spoiler free*)
- Calico (Game Review by Brandon Kempf)
- Brandon Kempf – Three Games of December
- Adventure Games: The Volcanic Island (a Spoiler-Free Opinionated Gamer Review by RJ Garrison)
- BABYLONIA: AN EXEMPLARY KNIZIAN DESIGN By Mitchell Thomashow
- Opinionated Gamers – 2020 in Review
- ZEN Tiles Solo
- A Round-Robin Letter for 2020 Games and Gaming (and some Books and Music)
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
RJ Garrison on Matt Carlson: Review of Welcom… Startoker on Best New (to me!) Games of… Marian on Dale Yu: First Impressions of… Jeroen on Dale Yu: Review of Ravensburge… RJ Garrison on Illumination: An Original Game… Mark "Fluff Daddy" J… on Mark’s Bundle of 2020 Es… Jacob Lee on Mark’s Bundle of 2020 Es… Nik on Gloomhaven: Does it live up to… RJ Garrison on Gloomhaven: Does it live up to… Nik on Gloomhaven: Does it live up to…