|Race for the Galaxy||1420||39.29%||46.75%||59.63%||18.60%|
|Roll Through the Ages||780||23.53%||23.96%||0.62%||new|
|Ticket To Ride||565||18.82%||21.30%||23.60%||25.61%|
|Settlers of Catan||385||13.18%||14.20%||17.39%||17.99%|
26th place with a score of 315: Diamant/Incan Gold – 10.59%
“score” is computed by giving a game 5 points for each person playing it 5-9 times and 10 points for each person playing 10+ times
the percentage numbers for each year are the percent of respondents who reported playing the game 5+ or 10+ times
It’s year #13 – which should be unlucky, if you buy that kind of hoo-ha, but I just think it means I’ve been doing this way too long. Once again, we broke the record for number of responses with 425… almost 100 more than last year!
Games that dropped out of the top 25 this year:
- Diamant/Incan Gold (now at #27)
- Sorry! Sliders (now at #29)
- Space Alert (now at #32)
- Le Havre (now at #39)
- Ra (now at #53)
- FITS (now at #54)
- Power Grid (now at #56)
- Battlestar Galactica (now at #58)
- Galaxy Trucker (now at #65)
- Finito! (now at #91)
The same top five from 2009 stayed the top five for 2010… with Agricola & Roll through the Ages trading places. (While I’m at it, let me give a big ol’ “hat’s off!” to designer Matt Leacock, who has managed to create not one but TWO games that have hung in the top five for the past couple of years… and then also put another game – Forbidden Island – into the top 25!)
Will this top five hang in for another year? Hmmm… I think the release of expansions for Dominion, Race for the Galaxy & (possibly!) Pandemic ought to keep them all three in the running. I’m guessing that Agricola may finally soften a bit this year along with Roll Through the Ages, but I don’t think either of them will drop out of the top 25.
Two years ago, I called “jump the shark” on Carcassonne – and yet it has managed to stick around despite my dire prediction. I’ll go out on a limb & say that I think it’ll hang in for at least one more year. (Watch me be wrong yet again.)
My yearly attempt to predict what WON’T return went swimmingly – I was 5 for 5 as I predicted that Power Grid, Finito!, Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert & Battlestar Galactica would all drop off the top 25. Let’s all pause now while I bask in the glory of my predictive powers.
And with that particular “Moment of Mark” done, it’s time for my predictions for 2011… I’m confident that Dixit & Forbidden Island will be on their way out. I’m less confident that Hansa Teutonica & Ingenious will be leaving, but I’ll go with those two to round out my slate of predictions.
I always list a set of “big questions for the year”… here are the questions for 2010 with the “answers” (such as they are):
- Q: What’s with this wave thing going on with Tichu, Hive & Crokinole? (Their playing percentages don’t really degrade as much as undulate.) Will this continue?
- A: Actually, all three of them settled in at roughly the same percentage play as the year before – how long will that last?
- Q: Again, will Dominion & Race for the Galaxy be able to hold onto the top spots? I think the answer is “yes,” esp. since they both have expansions on the way & their closest challenger (Pandemic) doesn’t.
- A: I was right!
- Q: Who’s got 2010 in the Dead Pool for Settlers? Will it finally drop off the Top 25? My guess: no – but we may finally be closing in on that in 2011 or 2012. (That makes me sad, btw.)
- A: Settlers is only down 1 percentage point… which I think means it won’t drop off the top 25 in 2011.
The big questions for 2011:
- Will 7 Wonders have enough “oomph” to break into the top 5? I think the answer is probably “yes,” aided by the release later this year of the Leaders expansion.
- Can any of the other deck-building games join Dominion & Thunderstone in the top 25? I think not.
- I’m a big fan of Summoner Wars… and I’m predicting that the release of the Master Set this summer will give it the push it needs to reach the top 25. Agree or disagree?
- I don’t see much on the horizon that looks like it will crack the Top 25 – so how many returnees will we have? I’ll take 20 in our imaginary pool.
In fact, what do you think about any of this? Use the comments area (and keep it clean & friendly!)