OK, time for a little diversion from the information overload that is part of preparing for Essen. As you know, one of the best ways to learn about games is to read the rules – and I always get a kick out of finding out how the initial start player is decided. I have below the starting conditions of 10 games. They should all be at the SPIEL this year. Can you guess which games go with which starting conditions?
- The player who has been to the moon the most is the first player
- The starting player is the player who has most recently attended a business meeting
- The last player who went fishing starts the game. In case of a tie, the last player who ate fish starts.
- The player who has most recently visited the town center takes the bag, and will begin the game as the first player
- The player who most recently travelled by train is the start player. Or the player who most recently travelled by the coolest possible train
- The player who has most recently planted a tree receives the First Player card
- The player who last took a boat ride on the Loire river will start the game
- The player who most recently went swimming becomes the starting player
- The last player who felt rain on his head will be the first player
- Starting from the player that is looking most “Alien”
I’ll come back in a few days and post the answers in a comment below – good luck!