Larry’s Top Essen Wants
1. Anno 1800 – Wallace’s economic designs are often great and the previews of this sound extremely good. I’m really looking forward to this one.
2. Alma Mater – The same designers and publisher that brought us Coimbra. Possibly overwrought, but the player-driven economic system could make this very good.
3. Pandemic Legacy: Season 0 – A no-brainer after I enjoyed the first two seasons so much. I’m a little wary of the Cold War theme, but I have faith that Leacock and Daviau will give us another great ride.
4. Golem – When will this come out? There’s still so little info on this, but given the designers and that it’s based on the concepts of the great Grand Austria Hotel, I gotta rank it highly.
5. Bonfire – A meaty Feld is always worth checking out. The theme is nonsense and there may be too much going on, but I like the central mechanic and early ratings are very good.
6. Viscounts of the West Kingdom – Paladins of the West Kingdom was excellent and this looks to be of a similar weight. I liked what I saw in the online rules.
7. The Castles of Tuscany – Simpler than Castles of Burgundy, but I like that you can tailor your strategy to some extent. Looks like a good game to play with my daughter.
8. Beyond the Sun – Some very interesting looking elements, although much will depend on how varied the technologies are. Could be quite meaty. Rio Grande is back, baby!
9. Faiyum – Friese’s ideas are always fascinating, but the games often lack replayability. This has a good chance of being an exception.
10. Hallertau – Played the prototype as a solo game and there’s a lot to like. But will the necessary look-ahead be too much in a multiplayer environment?
Search for any Game Title or keyword on the Opinionated Gamers
- Follow The Opinionated Gamers on WordPress.com
Support the Opinionated Gamers! If you enjoy our content here, help keep us independent!
- Feed the Kraken (Game Preview by Chris Wray)
- Mark’s Bundle of 2020 Essen Game Thoughts
- Joe’s Bookshelf – How to Host a Game Night
- Simon Weinberg’s Final Day (and final thoughts) on SPIEL.digital
- Barrage is the IGA Game of the Year!
- 10 Great Sid Sackson Games (Article by Erik Arneson)
- Simmy Peerutin’s Final Days at SPIEL.digital – Report from South Africa
- Simon Weinberg – report for SPIEL.digital, Day 3
- Dale Yu: New York Zoo in 36 hours (First Impressions, Unboxing, etc)
- Dale Yu: Review of Detective: Season One (Spoiler Free)
- Lorna’s Spiel.Digital Report
- The Opinionated Gamers report on SPIEL.digital, Day 2 (Part 1)
- Anno 1800 (Game Preview by Larry Levy)
- Dale Yu: First Impressions of Lost Ruins of Arnak
- Spiel Digital (Day 1 Brandon Kempf)
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets