- Follow The Opinionated Gamers on WordPress.com
Support the Opinionated Gamers! If you enjoy our content here, help keep us ad-free and independent!
- Dale Yu: A Euro-Gamer’s Take on Too Many Bones
- Dale Yu: Review of Doctor Esker’s Notebook (Spoiler Free)
- Dale Yu: Review of Horticulture Master
- Dale/JaNate: Roll With It – the Opinionated Gamers’ Roll and Write Decathlon
- Dale Yu: Review of Narabi
- Voices in Board Gaming: Interview with James & Sheila Davis
- Brandon Kempf: Three Games – Roll and Writes
- Doppelt so Clever (Game Review by Brandon Kempf)
- Jonathan Franklin – Notes from T5 (That Terrific Trick Taking Thing)
- Twin Tin Bots
- Dale Yu: First Impressions of Bad Maps
- Dale Yu: First Impressions of Cosmic Factory
- CUPCAKE EMPIRE
- Micropolis (Game Review by Brandon Kempf)
- Preview of “Mystery” from Season 2 of Van Ryder Games’ Graphic Novel Adventures
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Tag Archives: Reivews
Roll Dice! Milk the Cow! Make Cheese & Ice Cream!
Dairyman is a push-your-luck dice-rolling game in which players compete as dairymen trying to collect fresh milk everyday, fulfilling orders, and making cheese and ice cream. Players take turns rolling, locking, and re-rolling dice to create sets of two or three dice with a total value of 10 to produce milk and then use it to claim milk tiles for points. Failure to produce milk may result in spoilage and the loss of a previously earned milk tile. There are opportunities to flip a tile to turn the milk into cheese for extra points or to freeze it into ice cream. This action provides an extra ability that can be used each turn. Flipping a milk tile also prevents it from being lost. The player with the most points on their milk, cheese, and ice cream tiles at the end of the game is the winner. Continue reading
“Escape room game [in a box]” has apparently become the hot new board game genre of 2016. From virtual versions dating as far back as 1988 to real world escape rooms being created around 2006, it seems inevitable that a hybrid version of the concept would find its way into the growing board game hobby. Cooperative puzzle games have always been of great interest to many people and capturing the escape room feeling in a box that can be played anywhere is an exciting evolution.
There are already a handful of “escape room in a box” games available and Escape Room The Game is latest having been released in late 2016 in the USA by Spin Master Games. However, there are a couple key differences that set it apart from the previous games. First of all, Escape Room The Game contains not just a single escape room game, but four different Adventures that have varying difficulties and all look, feel, and play slightly different. Secondly, the game utilizes a unique electronic “Chrono Decoder” around which the game unfolds. It also helps pull the players further into the game so that they are anchored more to the game and the make believe “room” being created rather than arbitrary location where the game is being played. Continue reading